- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- 3/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 3/4 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (3/4 pound)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onions and peppers until tender. In a greased 13×9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, onion mixture, ham and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
1 piece: 393 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 203mg cholesterol, 1338mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Originally published as Colorful Ham Strata in Quick Cooking January/February 2003
Thank you for reading 🙂