- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Additional cooked and crumbled bacon, optional
- Rinse and sort black-eyed peas. Place peas and bacon in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour. Do not drain.
- In a skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in thyme.
- Stir into pea mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30-40 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with salt to taste. If desired, serve with additional crumbled bacon.
3/4 cup: 361 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Black-Eyed Peas with Bacon in Taste of Home December/January 1994