Homemade Fry Bread
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Butter, honey and lemon juice, optional
- Combine flour, dry milk powder, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water gradually, mixing to form a firm ball. Divide dough; shape into 12 balls. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Roll each ball into a 6-in. circle. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-in.-diameter hole in center of each.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry dough circles, one at a time, until puffed and golden, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels; if desired, serve warm with butter, honey and fresh lemon juice.
1 piece: 124 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Navajo Fry Bread in Cast Iron 2017