- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 ounces Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 2 dozen 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, shredded cheese, bacon and green onions. Divide into two dozen 1/4-cup portions. Shape each portion around a cheese cube to cover completely, forming a ball. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Place eggs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip potato balls in egg, then in crumb mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry potato balls, a few at a time, until golden brown, for 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
1 piece: 227 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Originally published as Loaded Mashed Potato Bites in Taste of Home October/November 2019
Thank you for reading 🙂