Homemade Fry Bread/Recipe Share
Homemade Fry Bread
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Butter, honey and lemon juice, optional
- Combine flour, dry milk powder, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water gradually, mixing to form a firm ball. Divide dough; shape into 12 balls. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Roll each ball into a 6-in. circle. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-in.-diameter hole in center of each.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry dough circles, one at a time, until puffed and golden, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels; if desired, serve warm with butter, honey and fresh lemon juice.
1 piece: 124 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Navajo Fry Bread in Cast Iron 2017
Thank you for reading 🙂