- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- Layer two 24-in. pieces of aluminum foil; starting with a long side, fold up foil to create a 1-in.-wide strip. Shape strip into a coil to make a rack for bottom of a 6-qt. oval slow cooker. Add water to slow cooker; set foil rack in water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add potato and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until potato is lightly browned. Stir in paprika. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish (dish must fit in slow cooker).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, thyme, pepper sauce, salt and pepper; stir in 2 ounces cheese. Pour over potato mixture. Top with tomatoes and remaining goat cheese. Place dish on foil rack.
- Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until eggs are set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Test Kitchen tips
- We tested this recipe with tomatoes that are ready to use without soaking. When using whole sun-dried tomatoes that are not oil-packed, cover with boiling water and let stand until soft. Drain before chopping.
- Smoked paprika adds a rich flavor to this dish. You can also use it in recipes that call for ground chipotle pepper.
- No feta? Cream cheese or mascarpone mixed with yogurt, for tanginess, will work.
1 wedge: 245 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 385mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sun Dried Tomato Frittata in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014