- 3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (1-3/4 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chicken, red peppers and onion in oil for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add the green chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin and coriander; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often and adding water as necessary.
1-1/4 cups: 149 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Chicken Chili with Black Beans in Taste of Home June/July 1993