Soft scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, chipotle peppers, cheese, and spinach, all stuffed into flour tortillas and cooked until golden. Top these quesadillas with a spicy avocado for a complete breakfast. Perfect for storing in the freezer to have on hand for busy mornings.
Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 4 Calories 554 kcal
- 6 large eggs
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 4 whole wheat or regular flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon, lightly crumbled
- 1-2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives or green onions
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- kosher salt
- 1. Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet.3. In a small bowl, combine the green chiles and chipotle peppers. 4. Lay the tortillas flat on a clean counter. On the top of 2 tortillas, evenly layer the cheeses, eggs, bacon, and green/chipotle peppers. Add a handful of greens (spinach, arugula, etc) on top. Then lay the remaining 2 tortillas on top. 5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, place the quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with avocado salsa. 6. To make the salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add salt, to taste.
*To freeze these, assemble the quesadillas as directed above, but do not cook them. Wrap each quesadilla individually in plastic wrap and freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. To cook once frozen, remove the plastic wrap and warm the quesadilla in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to thaw. Then cook as directed in the skillet.