Breakfast Quesadilla with Soft Scrambled Eggs and Avocado Salsa
Soft scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, chipotle peppers, cheese, and spinach, all stuffed into flour tortillas and cooked until golden. Top these quesadillas with a spicy avocado for a complete breakfast. Perfect for storing in the freezer to have on hand for busy mornings.
Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 4 Calories 554 kcal
- 6 large eggs
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 4 whole wheat or regular flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon, lightly crumbled
- 1-2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives or green onions
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- kosher salt
- 1. Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet.3. In a small bowl, combine the green chiles and chipotle peppers. 4. Lay the tortillas flat on a clean counter. On the top of 2 tortillas, evenly layer the cheeses, eggs, bacon, and green/chipotle peppers. Add a handful of greens (spinach, arugula, etc) on top. Then lay the remaining 2 tortillas on top. 5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, place the quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with avocado salsa. 6. To make the salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add salt, to taste.
*To freeze these, assemble the quesadillas as directed above, but do not cook them. Wrap each quesadilla individually in plastic wrap and freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. To cook once frozen, remove the plastic wrap and warm the quesadilla in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to thaw. Then cook as directed in the skillet.