Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Create a pretty burst of color and fresh flavor by adding a pinch of minced herbs to the egg mixture. Thyme and parsley are perfect candidates; try 1 teaspoon fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried.
- Cottage cheese is surprisingly versatile and almost disappears into this dish when baked.
- Assemble a day in advance, and bake just before serving.
1 piece: 273 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 477mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Amish Breakfast Casserole in Quick Cooking May/June 2002