6 Health Benefits of Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine, is a water-soluble vitamin that your body needs for several functions. It’s significant to protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism and the creation of red blood cells and neurotransmitters.
Your body cannot produce vitamin B6, so you must obtain it from foods or supplements. Most people get enough vitamin B6 through their diet, but certain populations may be at risk for deficiency.
Consuming adequate amounts of vitamin B6 is important for optimal health and may even prevent and treat chronic diseases.
Here are 6 health benefits of vitamin B6, backed by science.
1. Low levels of vitamin B6 in older adults have been linked to depression, but research has not shown that B6 is an effective treatment for mood disorders.
2. Vitamin B6 may prevent a decline in brain function by decreasing homocysteine levels that have been associated with Alzheimer’s disease and memory impairments. However, studies have not proven the effectiveness of B6 in improving brain health.
3. Not getting enough vitamin B6 can lead to low hemoglobin and anemia, so supplementing with this vitamin may prevent or treat these issues.
4. Some research has indicated that high doses of vitamin B6 may be effective at decreasing anxiety and other mood issues associated with PMS due to its role in creating neurotransmitters.
5. Vitamin B6 supplements in doses of 30–75 mg a day have been used as an effective treatment for nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
6. Vitamin B6 may help reduce high homocysteine levels that lead to narrowing of arteries. This may minimize heart disease risk.
Getting enough B6 through your diet or a supplement is crucial for staying healthy and may have other impressive health benefits as well.
All evidence & citations are from US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
Thank you for reading 🙂