- 5 Cups peeled, chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 Cups sliced (or halved, if small) fresh white mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Cup small cubes of fresh pineapple
- 3/4 Cups uncooked green lentils
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Teaspoons curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced, or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Cup chopped fresh spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 1/4 Cup peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 Cup chopped peanuts, for garnish
Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well.
Cover. Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender.
Add the chopped spinach leaves, peanut butter, and lime juice. Stir well. Cook just until heated through.
Serve in bowls. Top with chopped peanuts.
Excerpted from Stock the Crock by Phyllis Good. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 packets stevia
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor except dried cranberries. Puree until smooth.
- Stir in dried cranberries.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Corn bread, biscuits or crusty round loaf of bread, optional
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper; brown in batches, adding oil as needed. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add onion and sweet potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent and light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, puree tomatoes and their juices in a blender or food processor. Place thyme and rosemary on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose herbs; tie securely with string.
- Return beef to pan; add herb bag, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until meat and potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add green beans, corn, chocolate and coffee, stirring until well blended. Discard herb bag. If desired, add salt and pepper and serve with bread of choice.
1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.